- 1 pkg (16 oz each) dry elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
- 1 pkg (16 oz each) Velveeta® Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Meanwhile, combine undrained tomatoes and cheese in 1-1/2-quart microwavable dish; cover. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring after 6 minutes. Add milk; stir mixture until well blended.
- Drain macaroni; place in large bowl. Add cheese mixture; toss to coat.
I add a pound of ground meat flavored with taco seasoning and use Velveeta Mexican cheese. I call it "Mexironi and cheese". Have served it to 50 or more people and they just love it
This is not nearly as good as the original Ro-Tel Mac and cheese recipe. Make a white sauce, grate some cheese - it is much better for only a little more work.
This is our new favorite mac and cheese recipe! I've spent years fussing with gourmet mac and cheese recipes only to be disappointed by their dryness or lack of wow factor. I guess I just have to surrender to Velvetta, but Rotel makes it worth it.
no different than the velvetta and rotel dip we serve with chips. too rich for a meal. will not make this again.
I have been making a mac and cheese for years using Rotel. What disappointed me with your recipe here is the fact that you use Velveeta, which essentially has not enough flavor to efficiently counterbalance the Rotel. To counter balance the artifical factor of Velveeta, I make a roux with 1/4 cup olive oil, or 1 stick of butter mixed with 1/3 cup of flour. Let it brown in the pan then add first the juice from the 2 cans of tomatoes and addition milk to make a velvety textured sauce. To this I add the tomatoes. Then layer the penne noodles... one lay about 1 inch high, a layer of EXTRA SHARP Cheddar cheese, a heavy sprinkling of black pepper -- enough to actually see a layer on top of the cheese. Then half of the Rotel/milk sauce. Then repeat using the remainder of the noodles and cheese and yes, still more pepper. Finish off with the Rotel. put into a 350Â° Fahrenheit oven for about 20 minutes then serve.