- 2 tablespoons Pure Wesson® Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1-1/4 cups instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until rice is browned lightly, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, drained tomatoes, chili powder and cumin to saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
If I want to make more. Just double up on the ingredients. Right?
I used a southwestern style chicken broth, rather than a plain one. Also used the hot rotel instead of the mild one. Served it with southwest marinaded chicken breasts and they went awesome together!
Made the rice dish to go with tacos. Taste real good and also looks colorful. I didn't use all the can of broth , I used the juice from rotel to make up the difference. Easy and fast to make.
I accidentally used the chili fixin' rotel. So I cut back the chili powder. Still turned out to be a hit with the family. It is on the spicy side.
why not add the rotel not drained to the rice while it cooks?
I am making this for the first time.. When I serve this rice I will place a spoonful of fresh pico on top. Alway serve pico with rice. Just the right flavor.