- 2 tablespoons Pure Wesson® Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1-1/4 cups instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until rice is browned lightly, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, drained tomatoes, chili powder and cumin to saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Use the liquid from the drained tomatoes in place of some of the broth. It adds extra flavor to the rice.
Used original Rotel and it had a kick! Very good. Served skillet cooked chicken with refried beans and corn as additional sides. Mixed my corns the rice. Yum!
i tried this recipe always looking to add flavor to boring rice. this was very good, my kids liked it. it was a little spicy for my son, but he doesnt like anything spicy
My kids enjoyed this, My son wanted a little more "kick"to it next time.Maybesome jalapenos?
I have made Spanish rice with Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies for years but this recipe kicked it up a notch. I had never used chili powder or cumin in my rice. Those spices made a big difference in the taste. I'll make Spanish rice this way from now on. It's fantastic!!
This recipe was quick and easy to throw together, with things I had in my pantry. We loved the taste, but we like more of a hot and spicy taste, so I added some jalapenos to give it an extra kick.