- 2 tablespoons Pure Wesson® Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1-1/4 cups instant white rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until rice is browned lightly, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, drained tomatoes, chili powder and cumin to saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
I accidentally used the chili fixin' rotel. So I cut back the chili powder. Still turned out to be a hit with the family. It is on the spicy side.
why not add the rotel not drained to the rice while it cooks?
I am making this for the first time.. When I serve this rice I will place a spoonful of fresh pico on top. Alway serve pico with rice. Just the right flavor.
I added a little lime juice (juice from 1 wedge of small lime) and fresh cilantro!! Awesome! Easy and delicious!
Use the liquid from the drained tomatoes in place of some of the broth. It adds extra flavor to the rice.
Used original Rotel and it had a kick! Very good. Served skillet cooked chicken with refried beans and corn as additional sides. Mixed my corns the rice. Yum!