- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 pkg (8.5 oz each) corn muffin mix
- 1/4 cup Egg Beaters® Original
- 1/3 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, divided
- 1/2 pound ground chuck beef (80% lean)
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1 can (8 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8x8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Stir together corn muffin mix, Egg Beaters, milk and half of corn in bowl. Pour into prepared dish.
- Meanwhile, cook beef in medium skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally; drain. Stir in drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining corn and cumin. Pour mixture over top of batter. Top with cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cornbread base is done.
One fresh egg may be used in place of 1/4 cup Egg Beaters.
Great quick recipe. Took suggestions and baked the cornbread for 5 minutes before adding the meat mixture. Will make again
I rarely find recipes I really like, although you see many with great pictures, but not exceptional taste. This one is a keeper! I made exactly per the recipe, with the only change (as suggested by another review) I baked the cornbread for 5 minutes, before adding the topping, so it set up with meat mixture staying on top. Wouldn't change another thing!
I made this per the recipe the first time, it was good. Made it tonight and used about 3/4 lb ground beef and also added a small can of cream corn to the recipe. Added 1/2 the cream corn to the cornbread base and added the remaining cream corn to the ground beef mixture. It was so much better with the sweetness of the cream corn added. A definite keeper recipe.
Years ago, I directed a daycare in Houston, TX. We made something VERY similar but put the meat mixture in the pan first and poured the cornbread batter on top, then baked. The children loved it and requested it often.
I did it the way txtumbleweed made it; it was awesome!!! We had to cook it longer than 20 minutes though.
Going to try and will add to my recipes, I love simple. My son and fiance eat with us on Thursday's and this would be a quick and yummy- looking fix!